Saturday, March 5, 2011

T is for...

Touchy Subjects


 Yesterday, I had a tiny hole stabbed in my body.

After much deliberation and research, I went to a piercing parlor, picked out a little gem and waited while several others also had tiny holes stabbed in their body. The girl next to me had a tiny fleck of silver above her lip, the girl across from me had a tiny nose ring. The man doing my piercing had a whole row of rings up and down his ear.

The actual piercing took about five minutes and didn't hurt at all. The first time I went to get anything pierced, I was eight. I sat on a tiny bench at the mall while the gun was prepared. Only, I missed the memo about the part involving a gun. I screamed. Covered my ears. Ran o-u-t. Nothing like that was getting close to my ears. I told this all to my piercer. He looked at me like I was a nut case. This time, he used a needle and I slowly breathed while he stabbed me and put the earring in.

I came home and waited for my very Mormon family to notice. Nobody said a thing. I went out to dinner with my parents and we had a great time talking together about work, school and words. No big deal.

This morning, my youngest sister asked, "What is that?" gesturing towards me.

"Did you get a piercing?"

"Yes, I was wondering how long it would take you to notice." I shrugged.

My mom piped up, "I noticed." I shrugged.

My middle sister shrieked, "What is that. Oh my gosh you look like a freaking skank. Mom, make her take that out. What is wrong with you Emily?"

My mom shrugged. "I think she's old enough to do whatever she wants. Do you really think if I tell her to take it out she will? No. Calm down."

My middle sister went crazy. She screamed at my mom that she was a horrible mother, that she was letting me ruin my life.

"You know she's doing what's wronnnng! You're not saying anything, which means you approve!!!!!" she wailed.

I was angry, but dealing with her insults, until she screamed:

"Emily's just being brain washed. She doesn't even have a brain to think for herself. She doesn't know what she's doing. She can't even think. She has no life. She is just too lazy to do the right thing. She is lazy and acting trashy. You {mom} need to tell her what to do. She's a slut, she needs to pull her head out of her butt. You're the worst mother in the entire world."


I got up.

I slapped her across the face.

"You don't know the first thing about my life or what I'm going through. Don't you even pretend like you do. Mind. your. own. damn. business. Don't talk to me like that."

Of course, she slapped me right back. Screamed even louder. And continued to scream.

The piercing she is so upset that her 22 year old sister got? Look at the picture at the top?

Can't see it?

Oh, that's because my hair is covering it. What does it look like? Where could it be?


Oh wait, there it is.

Read the Strength of Youth, younger sister. I believe it says, "One pair of earrings."

I see only one. Earring that is. My ear lobes aren't pierced (remember the gun and the screaming? I never went back.)

Barring the fact that I am no longer a youth, do you think it's worth it to pierce the other side?

I technically get one more earring.



*Yes, I do realize I didn't do anything while my sister was screaming insults at my mom. Thanks. I'll let my mom be the parent. Looks like she already has one daughter who thinks she's The Mother. Also, it's a thing! My earring is a thing!

- Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...